Monday, October 18, 2010

Carried away


Carried away - When I sketched this a few weeks ago I knew that it would eventually turn into a painting. I just could not get the image out of my head of being picked up and carried away by God. I later read about Paul's account of being shipped wrecked. He was on a journey as a prisoner during a very dangerous time of year to be sailing. Throughout the journey he listened and trusted God, eventually swimming to shore after the ship broke into pieces. Acts 27: 22-26 But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed. Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me and said, 'Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.' So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me. Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island."

I pray that I will have such faith and strength in God during times of trial

Acts 27: 40-44 and Acts 28: 40Cutting loose the anchors, they left them in the sea and at the same time untied the ropes that held the rudders. Then they hoisted the foresail to the wind and made for the beach. 41But the ship struck a sandbar and ran aground. The bow stuck fast and would not move, and the stern was broken to pieces by the pounding of the surf.
42The soldiers planned to kill the prisoners to prevent any of them from swimming away and escaping. 43But the centurion wanted to spare Paul's life and kept them from carrying out their plan. He ordered those who could swim to jump overboard first and get to land. 44The rest were to get there on planks or on pieces of the ship. In this way everyone reached land in safety.

Acts 28: 1-2
1Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta. 2The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...