Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bogata, a moment captured

Bogata, a city of 8 million. It is 11pm and at the moment I am only interested in finding 1 of those people. Senior Saul, our caretaker for the night. Walking out of customs I search the many waving signs for my name. Daniel with a significant height advantage at 6' 9" spots senior Saul first. 35 min later we find ourselves at the home of our caretaker in the sprawling suburbs of Bogata. It has been a long day, but a good one. I close my eyes wondering what God has in store for tomorrow.

The morning comes early, but the cold shower and fine Columbian coffee do their job. Daniel and I follow Saul down the street to a small cafe. He patiently instructs us how to order in Spanish then grins like a proud papa when we both succeed in ordering coffee, eggs, and perisian style bread.

Over breakfast we struggle to communicate with our limited Spanish. I learn that Saul is an artist and ask to see his paintings. His studio is on the third floor of his home. The street level is occupied by a restaurant and the second floor is the living area. saul's paintings are beautiful. We linger in the studIo for a time and Saul picks up a guitar and plays some traditional Columbian tunes. I then ask if he would like to see some of my work. I have brought with me several sketch books and a few photos. At this point the communication feels less strained.

Saul holding a sketch of Jesus on the cross that I have shared with him looks at us very seriously and begins to share his testimony. Saul in his 60s has been a Christian for 17 years. Through Spanish, pantomime, and broken English he shares with us how he came to know Christ and decided to open up his home to missionaries and pastors who are passing through Bogata.

I met Saul as a caretaker, but he dropped me off this afternoon at the airport as a fellow artist and brother in Christ.

Daniel and I are currently on our way to Leticia to meet Our local missionary contact Orchidy Boyd.

I will finish this post with the thought that is running through my mind. We serve a truly creative God, who does not see color, language, or culture as a barrier, but only as an opportunity for creating unique connections that will draw us closer to Him and one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...