Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ruach




I found myself digging deep when I read Isaiah 61 today. I ended up reading commentary that explained the original Hebrew definition of Ruach (Spirit). It really opened my eyes to the text. Ruach in Hebrew generally means wind, breath, mind, spirit.

When applied to God, the word Ruach indicates creative activity (Gen 1:2) and active power (Isa 40:13). The Spirit of God also works in providence (Job 33:4; Psa 104:30), in redemption (Ezek 11:19; Ezek 36:26-27), in upholding and guiding his chosen ones (Neh 9:20; Psa 143:10; Hag 2:5), and in the empowering of the Messiah (Isa 11:2; Isa 42:1; Isa 61:1).

That said I began to look at Isaiah 61:1 as The Ruach (wind, breath, mind, spirit) of the sovereign LORD is on me. My prayer today is that I will be sensitive to the Ruach of God in my life....

Isaiah 61

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I love that to say the word "Ruach" itself requires a certain amount of breath to pass from the lips. Your drawing is lovely and conveys wonderful mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, I really like the way the word "Ruach" sounds as well. It just seems to carry with it a nice weight/gravity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same experience with the word "Ruach", I just like it. It sounds like what it means. Thanks Patrick for giving background to the word, I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Debbie, it is a word that sticks with you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...