Sunday, April 17, 2011

Adventuring With Christ

Adventuring With Christ!
This is how my friend Orchidy Boyd ends all of her emails. Every time I read this my heart jumps a bit at the thought of stepping out in faith and taking an adventure with Christ. Orchidy is a missionary based in Laticia Columbia who spends three quarters of her time deep in the jungle of the Amazon living among the Yagua tribe. I met Orchidy last year on a flight. That meeting has turned into many emails and phone conversations. Long story short I will be taking a short term mission trip to visit Orchidy in June. I am always amazed how God connects lives in such a creative way. Last week I was flying home from Charlotte NC. On the phone the night before my wife asked me if I had had any cool God encounters. I said I had not, then it struck me that I had not prayed about it. I said a simple prayer. "God, give me a chance to share your love". I boarded my plane and sat down. I was reading Psalm 16 in my bible when a flight attendant approached me and asked if I would mind trading my isle seat for a middle exit row seat. They needed to move a few people around. I said sure and moved up a few rows. I continued to read Psalm 16. The gentleman to my right said that is good book. I agreed and we began to talk. Within a few min the man sitting to my left joined the conversation. The Amazon trip came up and they asked me to share. I shared the story about meeting Orchidy and about making the decision to take a trip in June. Each of them shared how God was working in their lives. It was an awesome time. Then something amazing happened both men reached into their wallets and handed me wads of $20 bills. They both felt that God was prompting them to participate in my trip in June. I was blown away, I had not asked, I had just shared what God is doing in my life. I had prayed that God would give me a chance to share his love, and then I got to see God's love washing over me through two men I had know less than an hour.

Psalm 16

1 Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge. 2 I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” 3 I say of the holy people who are in the land, “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.” 4 Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more. I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods or take up their names on my lips. 5 LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. 6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. 7 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. 8 I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. 9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, 10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful[b] one see decay. 11 You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Totally awesome testimony :) I know when we went to Ireland I was amazed at how God opened His storehouses to provide :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am still amazed by the experience.

    thx

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool story. Make up for all the pain involved in flying I suspect. I love this drawing. Wish it would pop up bigger when I click on it so that I could see the detail...Thanks Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was an awesome God experience. I will try to upload a better image later today

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...